Fair Trade Recipes
Banana and chocolate chip muffins
MAKES 8 MUFFINS
- 50g Fairtrade milk chocolate
- 100g plain flour
- 40g cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 90g golden Fairtrade sugar
- 40g melted butter
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 2 Fairtrade bananas, peeled and well mashed
- 80ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/gas 6.
- Have ready 8 standard paper muffin cases set in a muffin tin.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter, egg, bananas and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and fold together gently (do not over-mix).
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Fill the paper cases with the mixture to just under the rim.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
Fair Trade Banana and Blueberry Muffins
Makes 12 large or 18 small muffins
- 3 large Fair Trade bananas
- 230g self-raising flour
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon and/or 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 115ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 200g blueberries (easily replaced with chocolate chips or chunks of Fair Trade chocolate)
Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
Grease muffin tin(s), or line with paper cases.
Mash bananas and place in a large bowl.
Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
Lightly beat eggs into the oil.
Add to the banana mixture, stir until smooth.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
Fold into banana mixture.
Carefully spoon in the blueberries.
Divide mixture over muffin cases.
Bake for 30-40min.
Remove when fork comes out clean.
Fairtrade Blueberry and Lemon Crumble Muffins
- Preparation Time: Around 30 mins
• Cooking Time: 25 mins
• Serves: 10
Ingredients – For the muffins
- 250g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 100g Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- Grated zest of one Fairtrade lemon
- 2 free-range eggs
- 90g butter, melted
- 220ml whole milk
- 200g Fairtrade blueberries
Ingredients – For the topping
- 45g plain flour
- 25g Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 25g butter, chilled and cubed
Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200°C/ fan oven 180°C.
First, make the topping. Sift flour in a bowl with sugar and zest.
Rub in butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
Then press the mixture together into a ball, wrap in cling film and pop in the freezer until firm.
Meanwhile, sift flour, cornflour and baking powder into a mixer and add sugar and zest. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and stir into melted butter.
Add milk, then stir liquids into flour mixture, and gently fold in blueberries (dusted in a little sifted flour).
Spoon into muffin cases, grate the topping ball over the top of each cake and bake for 15–25 minutes, until golden brown.
Cranberry and Orange Muffins
- 250g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (or good grating of fresh nutmeg)
- 2 satsumas
- 125ml full fat milk
- 75ml vegetable oil (or melted butter left to cool slightly)
- 1 large egg
- 175 grams dried cranberries
- 3 teaspoons Fairtrade demerara sugar (for the topping)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6/400ºF. Line a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin papers
- Measure the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, caster sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl; grate the zest of the satsuma over, and combine.
- Squeeze the juice of the satsumas into a measuring jug, and pour in the milk until it comes up to the 200ml mark.
- Add the oil (or slightly cooled, melted butter) and egg, and lightly beat until just combined.
- Pour this liquid mixture into the bowl of dried ingredients and stir until everything is more or less combined- a well-beaten mixture makes for heavy muffins: therefore lumpy batter is a good thing.
- Fold in the cranberries, then spoon the batter into the muffin cases and sprinkle the demerara sugar on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
Gluten-Free, Fairtrade Chocolate & Banana Muffins
- 150g softened butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 Fairtrade bananas
- 2tbsp Fairtrade cocoa powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate soda
- 150g gluten free plain white flour
- 6tbsp milk
- 100g Fairtrade plain chocolate (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 level tsp Xanthan Gum
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together with a wooden spoon.
- Slowly mix in the eggs.
- Mash the banana and add to the mixture.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and the milk. Now add the chocolate. The mixture should be quite loose.
- Divide between muffin cases or a greased muffin tin (two generous teaspoons in each).
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180c/375f/Gas 5 for 15-20 minutes. Use a cocktail stick to test it – if the stick comes out with mixture stuck to it, the cakes are not ready yet.