SEN Annual Report 2018

Special Educational Needs

Information and Annual Report 2018

At Elangeni School we strive to support ALL our pupils to enable them to achieve their potential at the school.


Quality first teaching is vital. However for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.


The Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is:

Mrs Sarah Hamilton


The SENDCo is responsible for the operation of the Special Educational Needs Policy and coordination of specific provision made to support individual children with SEN. We liaise with staff to monitor pupil progress and plan further interventions where progress is slower than expected. We have contact with a range of external agencies, who are able to give more specialised advice. The type of SEND provision that Elangeni School provides is based on individual needs or a pupil’s statement/educational healthcare plan, where their needs can be met within our mainstream setting.


Current SEN Updates

Pupil Premium

The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011 and is allocated to schools to support pupils who have been registered for free meals at any point in the last six years. Schools also receive funding for children who have been looked after continuously for more than six months and children of service personnel. Schools are held accountable for the decisions they make on Pupil Premium through the performance tables which show the performance of disadvantaged pupils compared with their peers. Ofsted inspectors focus on the attainment of pupil groups, in particular those who attract Pupil Premium.


Children and Families Bill 2013

The Children and Families Bill underpins wide-ranging reforms to improve services for vulnerable children and support families so that all children can succeed, no matter what their background. The system for supporting children with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled is being is also reformed. The Bill extends the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children and their parents/carers greater control and choice in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met.


The Local Offer

This information outlines which services are available to support disabled children, children with SEN and their families. This information sets out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their children.


1.       How does Elangeni School know if a pupil needs extra help?

We know a pupil needs extra help when:


  • ·         Limited progress is being made
  • ·         Concerns are raised by teachers/parents/carers or the child
  • ·         There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


  • ·         The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns
  • ·         He or she will then liaise with our SENDCo to consider possible actions to address concerns.


2.        How will I know Elangeni School will support my child?

  • ·         Each pupil’s education will be planned by the class teacher and will be differentiated according to the pupil’s individual needs. This may include support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  • ·         If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as literacy or numeracy skills, the pupil may be placed in a small focus group run by a teacher, teaching assistant or Learning Support Assistant (LSA) and receive ‘intervention’ support. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. Interventions can take place in the school day or before school in the form of ‘Booster’ lessons. 
  • ·         Occasionally, a pupil may require more expert support from an outside agency, such as Speech and Language Therapy Service, Educational Psychologist etc. In this instance, a referral will be made, with parental consent and forwarded to the appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support will usually be provided for the school and parents/carers.


3.        How will the curriculum match my child’s needs?

  • ·         When a pupil has been identified with special needs, their work will be further differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • ·         Teaching assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil on a 1-1 basis or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • ·         If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given a Support Plan. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be regularly monitored by the class teacher and by the SENDCo three times per year. Support Plans will be discussed with parents and a copy given to them.
  • ·         If appropriate, specialist equipment may be provided for the pupil e.g. writing slopes, pencil grips or easy to use scissors. 


4.       How will I know how my child is doing?

  • ·         You will be able to discuss your child’s progress formally at Parents’ Consultation Evenings and informally throughout the year. The class teacher will be available at the end of each day for a brief chat however appointments should be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENDCo by visiting/phoning/e-mailing the school office.


How will the school help me to support my child’s learning?

  • ·         The class teacher may suggest ways you can support your child.
  • ·         The SENDCo may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if here are difficulties with a child’s behaviour or emotional needs.
  • ·         If outside agencies or the Education Psychologist have been involved, recommendations and programmes of support are normally provided that can be implemented at home.


5.       What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:


  • ·         Members of staff and the head teacher are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns.
  • ·         If a child has a medical need, then a detailed Care Plan is compiled in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • ·         Our medical staff receive epipen, asthma and diabetes care training.
  • ·         Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.


6.       What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive more specialised expertise. These may include:


  • ·         Child Protection Advisors
  • ·         Educational Psychologist
  • ·         CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Team)
  • ·         Social Services
  • ·         Speech and Language Therapy Team
  • ·         Family Resilience
  • ·         Occupational Therapy


7.        What training have staff supporting children with SEND had?

The school trains all staff in relation to pupils’ particular needs.  These include:

  • ·         epipen training,
  • ·         hearing support for all relevant staff,
  • ·         LSA/TA professional development regarding general classroom support and specific interventions
  • ·         paediatric handling


8.       How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Activities and school trips are for all pupils.

  • ·         Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all pupils to participate.
  • ·         However, if it is deemed that an intensive 1:1 support is required, a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


9.       How accessible is the school environment?

We are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

  • ·         A ramp into school making the building accessible to all
  • ·         A toilet adapted for disabled users
  • ·         Wide doors in some parts of the building
  • ·         A physiotherapy room with floor space for essential physiotherapy support


10.    How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Elangeni School or transferring to a new school?

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:

  • ·         Discussion between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • ·         All pupils attend an induction day to familiarise themselves with their new class.
  • ·         Additional visits are arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • ·         Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with the head teacher or SENDCo.


11.    How are school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • ·         The school’s SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources depending on an individual’s needs.
  • ·         Resources may include the deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.


12.   How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • ·         These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher, SENDCo and the head teacher, based on termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments including those undertaken by outside agencies.


13.    How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

  • ·         Discussions with the class teacher in the first instance.
  • ·         Discussions with the SENDCo or head teacher.
  • ·         Bi annual formal Parents’ Consultation Evenings or SEN review meetings.


14.    Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling, please contact the school office and arrange a meeting with the head teacher or SENDCo.


We hope the information set out in this document has answered any queries you may have, but please do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any further questions.