PE and Sport Grant
‘The PE and sport premium is a government grant given to schools and is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils. Schools receive PE and sport premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.’ (GOV.UK)
What is the Primary PE and Sport Premium?
The Government is providing £150 million of ‘Sport Premium’ funding per annum (academic year) to primary schools for 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17 to support the delivery of PE & School Sport. This funding is ring fenced and Ofsted reports on the expenditure and its impact.
All schools with 17 or more primary-aged pupils (5-11 yrs) receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil, per annum.
The Government do not dictating how schools should spend this money, but are clear that schools will need to employ the strategies that they know will support their pupils to increase their active participation in sports.
Schools must spend this additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
What is the Purpose of the Primary PE and Sport Premium?
Vision - All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Objective - To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools. To ensure sustainability and effective use of this investment, it is important that coaches are only deployed to deliver against indicators of improvement identified from the following:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport.
|Primary Sports Funding Academic Year 2015- 2016|
|Funding Received - £9205|
|Football Coaching for Y5/6 Teams - Autumn||£450||
Quality coaching for Year 5 and 6 football teams
|Football Coaching for Y5/6 Teams - Spring||£400|
|Football Coaching for Y5/6 Teams - Summer||£475|
|Chesham District Cross Country Affiliation||£30|
|Chesham District Cross Country Entry Fees||£157||157 runners an increase of 38 runners compared with AY14/15|
|Chiltern and South Bucks Primary Schools Football Association||£20||Boys participating in league and cup games Insufficient girls to make team this year.|
|Chiltern Hills Academy Netball League||£0||4 x League events for Y5 and 6 pupils|
|Kingsmead Netball Tournament||£10||8 girls participating in inter-school tournament involving 30 Bucks schools|
|Transport to access competition||£2010|
|Hoop Guy||£500||Skipping Workshops for every child|
|5 a day fitness subscription||£184||Daily fitness exercises|
|Shared Specialist Teachers|
|CREATE course Scheme Of Work||£421|
|Membership of School Sports Partnership||£2,000||pupil participation in inter-school competitions.|
|Youth Sports Trust Membership||£425||Part of cluster till 31st August 2015 - competitions/training/network links etc|
|Total Cost||£9190||updated August 2016|